Friday, July 29, 2011

A Canadian Perspective

I'll be totally honest. I don't know a lot about this whole DC40 thing going on. I read Kallan Kennedy's posts about it, I read Patti Wigington's post, and Jason Pitzl-Waters' post. It goes deeper and deeper than I thought it would.  This is isn't something that will go away quickly, and the event certainly isn't what I thought it was.  I read enough to know that it scares me, and I don't even live in the states!

And that is just the thing. It SHOULD scare me. It should scare all of us who belong to minority religions, regardless of what territory lines divide us. I doesn't scare me as in “Run away, run away!!”



It scares me in such a way that I would be scared for any other part of my life; a part I would be prepared to fight for. Perhaps “scare” isn't exactly the right word, but it will serve. What scares me is how many people want to take away other people's freedoms. Yes, there are always those willing to fight – fight with words, with blog posts, with articles. Fight with magickal or other means as well. Fluffy bunny is all well and good until you are faced with a snarling fox. Then all you have is a fat fox and a pile of fur.

Abraham Lincoln once said, "Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves."  Yes, he was talking about the slavery of African Americans.  I think it applies to those who would shackle our souls as well.  We would never deny others the right to worship as their souls are pulling them to, but we will not stand idly by while they take away our right to do the same.

I know this is a heavy post before the weekend, but I think the biggest thing that can be done about this - at the moment, at least - is awareness.  We build awareness.  It becomes less and less attractive to others the more that it is seen what this religious group is doing.  There are fanatics in every religion; these are no different.

What do you think about the DC40? About the new movement in general?

Goddess Bless,
Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment