Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Rain!

I love rain.  It's raining here today.  Not the normal, crappy rain that we get, but AWESOME rain.  How does one tell the difference, you ask?  Well, I live in Alberta.  Most of the time, our rain comes from the tiny wee clouds that puff over the mountains from the west coast and gather themselves into little bundles.  Our rain "storms" tend to last half an hour or so, sporadically.

I used to live in Manitoba, which is something like 1300km east of where I am now.  By the time the above mentioned wee puffy clouds make it to Manitoba, they are a conglomerated mass of huge, rolling, prairie thunderheads.  On an average basis, of course.  I remember rain storms that would last for days.  It is one of the few things that I miss about Manitoba weather - possibly the only thing.

Today, though, we have rain!  REAL rain!  By real rain, I mean rain that lasts longer than 30 minutes.  It has been raining since sometime in the middle of the night, and it is still raining!  It's supposed to rain tomorrow!  Its ridiculously exicitng for me, haha.  I have great memories of rain from Manitoba.  My mom and I would get dressed in rain boots and jackets, and grab my hot pink umbrella with the duck handle.  Yes, the handle of this umbrella was a wooden duck's head with a pink bill.  I think she still has it.  Anyway, we would go outside and she would let me jump in the puddles, and we would take a walk up our long driveway (we lived in the country) and listen to the pattering of rain on the umbrella, in the trees, on the grass.  We would watch the rain bounce up from the puddles and make their little crowns.

These days I just try to capture some rain for my plants!  When Brianna is a little older, I'll take her out in the rain.  Right now, she doesn't like the feel of rain.  She will feel it hit her, stick out her hand to make sure, then raise her arms, grab her little head in her hands, and exclaim, "Oh MY!"  It is the most adorable thing in the universe.

What do you enjoy most (or not!) about the rain?

Goddess Bless,

Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment